Taking Charge of your Health
Sometimes our bodies don’t work the way we’d like them to. Pain and illness are limiting and frustrating. It’s easy to give up and feel helpless when countless trips to doctors fail to resolve your health complications. I’ll admit, sometimes when headaches and nausea take over my day I feel like giving up, getting depressed, and laying in bed all day. Fortunately, I’m learning ways to control how I react to, treat, and even prevent headache days. Having a small sense of control over my health is incredibly empowering. Health is very much a lifestyle thing and you can decide how you want to live.
Health Factors in Your Control:
1) Nutrition: Hippocrates said it well, “Let food by thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” Nutrition is the foundation for a healthy body. Without the proper building blocks (vitamins, minerals, amino-acids, etc.), the body simply can’t do everything it’s designed to do. Diet is a major factor in disease. A good diet can prevent illness and even help the body recover from illness more quickly. Poor diets are a major contributor to disease states like diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.
2) Hydration: Drink more water! Switch one soda or juice a day to plain water. Carry a water bottle with you.
3) Fitness: Fitness doesn’t mean you have to work out three hours a day or run marathons. Taking a 20 minute walk daily will greatly improve your health if it is something you aren’t already doing.
4) Sleep: Try to have a sleep routine and make sleep a priority. You’ll think better, feel better and be less stressed if you are getting enough sleep.
5) Avoidance of toxins: Switch to natural products and cleaning supplies. Filter your water. Buy organic when possible.
I’d love to hear how lifestyle changes have affected your health and happiness. Feel free to comment!
Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .